Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge
Prairie Learning Center
P.O. Box 399
9981 Pacific Street
Prairie City, Iowa 50228-0399
For General Questions, Please Contact: email@example.com
Second Saturday Stewardship
On the second Saturday of each month, volunteers gather from 9am-noon to work on one or more projects. The work varies with the season, and often includes working with seeds or plants in one stage or another of growth. This is an informal gathering, and anyone who is available is welcome to join us, no registration required. Simply sign in at the front desk, and you’ll be directed to our activity from there.
Special events requiring volunteers:
Many of our public events at Neal Smith NWR involve volunteers participating in stewardship projects. Groups or individuals of any age are welcome to participate, although pre-registration is encouraged. Check the calendar (assuming there is one on the website?) for dates of this year’s events.
- Earth Day – Volunteers spend the morning completing stewardship projects on the Refuge, such as clearing brush, picking up trash, planting, etc.; takes place in late April
- Butterfly Count – Volunteers walk the Tallgrass Trail and record all butterflies found; takes place in July
- Monarch Madness – Volunteers capture, tag and release Monarch butterflies as they are migrating to Mexico; takes place in early September
- Buffalo Day/Public Lands Day – Volunteers participate in stewardship projects on the Refuge, such as seed collecting, clearing brush, picking up trash, etc.; volunteers also assist with activities for the general public; takes place in late September
- Ding Darling Day – Volunteers participate in stewardship projects on the Refuge, such as seed collecting, clearing brush, picking up trash, etc.; takes place in early October
Would you like to receive an email once a month with information on upcoming volunteer opportunities? Email the volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the list.